Tags are quite powerful and help you access your important files quickly. Tag on Mac works the same way labels work in GMAIL. If you are a new Mac user and haven’t explored it yet, then you must give it a try.
If you are already familiar with Tags but need help creating a new one, then follow the steps given below.
1. Go to finder
2. Open finder preferences
3. Click on Tags
4. Then click on the add [+] Sign at the bottom
5. Click on the untitled tag to rename it, alternatively – Two finger tap to rename it.
6. Now click on a circle and select any color from the list.
7. Don’t forget to tick the square box (placed next to the newly created tag) so it will appear in the finder sidebar.
8. In final step, Press Command + N to open the finder window and verify if newly created tag is visible in sidebar or not.
This is how you create a new tag on a Mac, the method is tested on Sierra and High Sierra operating systems, however the settings are generic and it should work with all previous versions as well.