We have often heard, “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.” Probably you will say, “Easier said than done!” Well, here’s the thing.
In the daily hum-drum of our lives, breakfast often becomes a low priority for us. Even though it is the most important meal that recharges us after long hours of fasting, we don’t think twice before giving it a miss.
Most of the times, we cite reasons like lack of time or running late for work as reasons for skipping it. When time is not the factor, a simple “I am not hungry!” seems to rest the case.
So, is this common to you too? Wondering how you can make your breakfast a healthy and delicious affair? One that appeals to your taste buds and is simply not worth giving a miss?
Here are 4 easy tips to make yummy breakfast meals without spending too much time in the kitchen.
1. Go Creative with Leftovers
– As Indians, we love to entertain guests and serve them multiple dishes, which often results in excess food. So, what do you do? Give them away the following day or reheat them for lunch? We say, don’t do either and use them as ready-to-eat breakfast options instead!
Need some inspiration? Next time you have some leftover kadai paneer, make use of it as a lip-smacking spread for your garlic bread along with the usual assortments of onions, tomatoes, lettuce etc. Ready in no time, your Indianised sandwich tastes as heavenly as your regular cheese-bread Western combo, minus the fattening cheese!
2. Mix and Match with Fruits
– Give me a bowl of plain cereal and milk and I will run for cover! Add generous helpings of nuts, raisins and freshly chopped colourful, seasonal fruits to it and I will lap it up in no time!
Now that you know the trick, go ahead and implement it. Don’t forget to experiment with healthy alternatives, such as replacing sugar with honey or using low fat milk in place of regular milk. This is one breakfast meal that you will love to have for long. One that can be prepared in minutes and still keep your tummy full for hours!
3. Presentation is the Key
– One more breakfast hack to help you and your family members embrace the goodness of fruits in the first meal of the day. Rather than having a plain orange on the table that no one cares for, make a juice out of it and serve it chilled with eye-catching toppings like a cherry or a portion of sliced lemon or pineapple. The appetites are bound to soar instantly!
This trick works for almost all fruits and is a must-try for the little ones.
4. Combine What You Detest to Create a Yummy Variant
– Not many of us are fond of milk. Not many like the hard bread crusts either. So, what do we do with them? Should we throw away the bread edges? How about marrying milk and bread crusts to create something absolutely fantastic? Grind the dried bread edges into fine crumbs and pour a mixture of eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla over the crumbs.
Follow this step with a round of baking to cook a delicious bread pudding for your breakfast.
Now that we have revealed the secrets, say ‘goodbye’ to an empty stomach at the start of a busy day with mouth-watering gastronomic delights that require minimal time to prepare and even lesser time to finish!