In the midst of the Himalayan mountains and surrounded by green pastures, Shimla is a traveler’s paradise. It is the capital of Himachal Pradesh, India. This place has snow-capped mountain peaks with rivers flowing down the hills.
It is indeed a perfect location for couples who are planning their honeymoons. The mesmerising Victorian-era architecture with several tourist spots makes this place a must-visit location in India.
Shimla is a popular hill station in India. It has beautiful resorts, hotels, markets, historical places, monuments, and everything that a traveler aspires to see and visit in a place. One less known fact about Shimla is that Britishers used this city as the summer’s capital of British India.
You can expect snowfall in winters. In summers, it is mostly cloudy and wreathed in clouds. This place is not very far from the capital of India, Delhi and you can reach there easily by following our travel guide.
● Distance: 340 – 400 Km
● Modes of Transport: train, flight, bus, car, and taxi.
● Nearest Airport: Jubbarhatti airport and Chandigarh airport
● Nearest Railway Station: Kalka railway station
● Languages Spoken: Hindi, Punjabi, Pahadi, and English
● Best Time to Visit: March to September
● Quickest Mode of Travel: Flight
● Cheapest Mode of Travel: Bus
● Most Adventurous Mode of Travel: Car
You can reach Shimla through various modes of transport and all of them are mentioned below. This place can be accessed easily. Let us take a look at the different modes of transport to reach Shimla and choose the best suitable travel option for your next trip.
Travel to Shimla by Bus
If you are on a budget and looking to save some money, then a bus journey will be most convenient for you. You can book a semi-sleeper or sleeper Volvo for a comfortable trip, however, local DTC bus is much cheaper than Volvo.
The bus journey will cost approximately Rs. 450 – Rs. 1200 and the duration of travel will be 9 – 10 hours. In the taxi, you will have to spend Rs. 6000 – Rs. 7000 and in your car, Rs. 2000 – Rs. 2500.
Travel to Shimla by Train
You can book a train ticket from Delhi or Kolkata to Kalka railway station. From there you can take a toy train or a cab to Shimla. There are several trains running regularly. The journey will take approximately 7 to 9 hours, and it will cost Rs. 700 – Rs. 2000. This mode of transport is comfortable and cheap too.
Travel to Shimla by Flight
From Jubbarhatti airport, you only have to travel 22 Km to reach Shimla. If you don’t get flights to this airport, then you can take a flight till Chandigarh airport and travel 140 Km in a cab to reach this stunning place.
The total time of travel will be approximately 4 to 6 hours. The total cost of travel will be around Rs. 3000 – Rs. 4000.
Travel to Shimla by Car
This picturesque hill station is well connected with several major cities of India like Delhi, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Kalka, Jaipur, etc. On the way, you will see beautiful landscape on both sides of the road. Whether you are driving your own car or hiring a taxi, a road trip will be a memorable journey as you will be amazed at the beauty of nature around you.
● Route 1: Delhi – Sonipat – Kurukshetra – Ambala – Chandigarh – Panchkula – Solan – Shimla (Via NH 44 & NH 5)
● Route 2: Delhi – Modinagar – Budhana – Shamla – Karnal – Kurukshetra – Chandigarh – Solan – Shimla (Via NH 5)
Restaurants on the way
● Sethi dhaba (Ambala Road)
● Ishwar sweets (Chandigarh)
● Giani da dhaba (Murthal Highway)
● Puran singh ka dhaba (Ambala Cantt.)
● Pal dhaba (Chandigarh)
Hospitals on the way
● RLKC metro hospital & heart institute (Rewari, Haryana)
● Tenzin hospital (Shimla highway)
● Capitol hospital (Jalandhar – Pathankot bypass)
● MIRI PIRI hospital and research institute (Madanpur)
● Command Hospital (Panchkula)
Petrol Pump/ CNG Stations on the way
● Ram bazar petrol pump (Ram Bazar)
● Pinjore petrol pump (Pinjore)
● Baddi petrol pump (Nalagarh road)
● Nagla Cng pump (Panchkula)
Best Places to Visit in Shimla
● Chail wildlife sanctuary
● Golf course
● Manjathal sanctuary
● Jakhu temple
● The Himalayan natural park
● Scandal point
● Luturu Mahadev temple
● Indira tourist park
● St. Mary church
Use our travel guide and be all set for your next trip.