Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
If you are starting a new WordPress blog or an affiliate website but as a newbie you are short on funds and can’t take risk experimenting several hosting services than you must go through this article, as it may help you decide what factors to consider before signing up with a web hosting service and why I consider site ground to be one of the best shared web hosting companies worldwide.
- 1) Cost
- 2) Datacenters
- 3) Backup (Automatic and On-demand both)
- 4) 1-Click Install
- 5) WordPress Migrator & Caching at Server level
- 6) SSL
- 7) CDN
- 8) Generic Tools
- 9) Security related features
- 10) Support
- 11) Email
- What makes Siteground different from others? Why should you sign up?
Siteground offers all essential features to run a WordPress blog at a price of $6.99 per month. The longer the duration the higher will be the discount.
I feel a little disappointed as they do not offer free domain however, do note that web hosting companies that offer free domain come with higher renewal costs.
Also, they have 30 days money back guarantee, but do check terms and conditions associated with it.
This is one of the best features with Siteground hosting. No matter what plan you choose, be it a cheapest ‘Startup’ plan, you do get to choose a datacenter of your choice.
Siteground has got the following choice of datacenters across the globe:-
Now, you may think why datacenter matters and how it impacts the overall performance of your website?
Suppose you have a WordPress blog that targets the users in the UK, however your hosting offers USA based server, that means that data served from the US based server to your target audience in the UK will experience slower load times. You certainly don’t need that to happen. Right?
With Siteground shared or Managed WordPress hosting plan you get the option to choose the server location.
3) Backup (Automatic and On-demand both)
Again, I consider this very important part of hosting package. As you don’t want to lose all your hard work in an event of site error or hack.
Siteground offers you to take full account backup or selected backup like File, database, email.
You can restore the entire backup with the single click of a button.
4) 1-Click Install
You can install popular scripts from Softaculous and web applications like WordPress, Joomla and Magento with one click.
5) WordPress Migrator & Caching at Server level
I don’t remember any hosting that offers server lever caching with their basic plans. However, you do get Supercacher with Siteground’s ‘Startup’ plan. Also, you can download the WordPress migrator plugin to migrate the WordPress site.
Siteground has partnered with Letsencrypt to offer free wildcard SSL protection to your main site (example: www.explorehowto.com, explorehowto.com) and subdomains (blog.explorehowto.com).
Not to forget Google uses SSL (https) as one of its major signals for ranking in SERPs.
Another important aspect to improve your site’s performance is the use of a CDN.
Siteground is committed to offer best services to it clients, doesn’t matter what plan you are on.
At Siteground, you get Cloudflare CDN free of cost. However, you don’t get their firewall which is a premium feature at an extra cost.
8) Generic Tools
The generic tools that you get with most basic siteground shared web hosting services are:-
Backend type : Cpanel
- File manager and SSH access
- MySql Database
- Php Myadmin
- Dns zone editor (simple and advanced both)
- Domain manager
- Domain transfer
- Domain ID protection
- Cron Jobs (needed by some plugins)
Siteground offers hotlink protection, IP deny manager to block any ip or series of IP. You also get option to password protect directories.
You also get automatic wordpress updates to stay protected from future threats.
You can contact Siteground via email, Tickets, Live Chat and Phone Support. They have a quick turnaround time. On phone their average hold time is 2 minutes and on live chat it is even quicker.
Siteground mentions that you can use unlimited email accounts. Although, you are allowed to use only 2000 mb quota across all your email accounts on the basic ‘Startup Plan’. Which is more than sufficient for even an established site.
Once you start generating traffic upgrade to a bigger plan (GrowBig) based on your usage.
With Siteground managed WordPress ‘Startup’ plan that costs just $6.99/month, you can host 1 website, get 10 GB web space and hold traffic up to 10,000 monthly visits.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- Fastest load times
- AI anti bot to block malicious traffic
- Advance features like WordPress staging, Git, WP CLI on GoGeek and above plans.
- Higher renewal cost after the initial term expires. To avoid this, you can signup for a longer duration.
What makes Siteground different from others? Why should you sign up?
- Siteground uses powerful SSD disks to host websites
- First hosting company to offer newest PHP versions or the most innovative protocols like HTTP/2, TLS 1.3, OCSP Stapling and QUIC.
- Siteground has most effective in house caching solution based on Nginx reverse proxy and Memcached. They also offer free cloudflare CDN with Railgun across all hosting plans.
- WordPress users get unique SG Optimizer plugin to speed up their website even further.
Latest Addition on Siteground Web Hosting:-
- Introduced QUIC protocol – It increases the site loading speed when you have a poor internet connection.
- Siteground is the first hosting company to offer next generation protocol HTTP/3 to all users.
You may also want to read these related articles:-